[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:36:42 -0500
From:                   "Steve Eldridge" <steve@g8izy.freeserve.co.uk>

> Where are we going? Backwards it would seem to me.

We certainly aren't moving forward on transmitter IMD, keying, or
ability to work close without QRM as we could be.

> DSP was the way to go, the panacea to all of our Rx (& TX  problems), or
> so we were told at the time....

Yeah, sure. Did they tell you how expensive A-D conversion is at
with enough bits for good dynamic range, and high speed? Instead
of facts, we get snow about "we moved it inside the AGC loop".

> What I think is needed is a rig that combines good RF performance with
> DSP, without all the unneccessary 'bells & whistles' that we get
> nowadays.... And definitely no full-power spikes at the start of an over!

If it has DSP, at least at the current state used in our radios, it
better have a narrow crystal filter long before the signal hits the
DSP system.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com