[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:12:34 -0500
> Steve G8IZY said:
>

>  >Maybe... if rig reviewers in Rad Com, QST etc.paid
>  > more attention to these sort of design defects,
>  >then things would improve. A tall order? - possibly
>  > the magazines would just lose advertisers!
>
> The advertisers are and publishers are in a cleft stick though
>  - they heavily rely on each other. In point of fact, relatively
> few amateurs have any problem with these design faults.

You guys should see how difficult it is to correct an error in a
review, and your tune would change!

I can't speak for radios, but with other things the ARRL has a mind
of it's own. Even if you clearly demonstrate a mistake, they won't
generally correct it.

For the ife of me, I don't know where the idea they listen to
manufacturer's comes from.

I think the reason they publish results at wide signal spacings is
because they simply don't know any better.

> Mark commented:
> >It seems so ass-backwards to push for better RX
> >performance with higher dynamic range, better filtering etc

Receivers are pretty poor for close-spaced dynamic range. DSP
based radios are generally the worse of the lot! IMO, we need more
pushing for close space tests, and the FT-1000MP needs a key
click adjustment!  They remind me of the old Heath DX100's.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com