[AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:26:13 -0800

>measures wrote:
>
>> Don't use a relay.  A npn transistor does a faster switch than a relay.
>> See Figure 7 on my Web site.  See article on TS-440 circuit improvements.
>>

>I don't see the need for a a modification to the FT-1000D circuit board,
>when a simple re-flowing of solder joints and/or cleaning of the relay switch
>contacts will cure the problem.  The relay in the FT-1000 is quite fast
enough for the
>alpha 87,
>and I have never had a problem with hot switching in 5 years that could be
>traced to
>the relay itself.

As I see it, the problem is that the FT-1000 delivers RF 5mS after PTT or
VOX closure - so if the RL control relay in the radio isn't  faster,
hotswitching results.  .   Conventional relays are simply too slow. ....
- like 10 - 15 mS.   Switch transistors are much faster, less costly,
more reliable, and make no noise.  .

end