[AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:10:53 -0700

> [...]
>Yeah, yeah, I know - some of you don't like to use tuners and load the amp
>directly into the antenna.  Personally, I don't like that approach as I'm
>not able to accurately measure power under high SWR and I also like the
>added harmonic suppression of the tuner.
>
>Previously, I had an old Heathkit roller inductor tuner.  It worked fined
>for the most part with full legal limit, but would sometimes have arcing
>problems on the load cap.  The biggest problem was with my 80m dipole.  It
>is cut for 50 Ohms around 3.6 MHz and there it gives a great match.
>However, as I move up in frequency, the match is very narrow.  I start
>getting about a 3:1 SWR around 3.75 MHz and it gets worse from there.
>
>The Heathkit would arc even at power levels under 1000 Watts.  I even tried
>removing one of the offending plates from the capacitor in the hopes that
>the larger air spacing would help.  It didn't and in fact, made other things
>a little worse.  So given this background I decided to look at antenna
>tuners at Dayton.
>
>My first stop was to look at the Ameritron/MFJ/Vectronics units.  After all,
>they are the most prolific tuners out there right now.  Upon looking at all
>these units, I found that the plate spacing on their caps were no better
>than what my Heathkit had.  Even their highest power units had caps with the
>same spacing.  It is interesting to note that later I noticed that the
>Ameritron tuner rated for 1200 Watts has larger cap spacing than the ones
>that are more expensive and rated for higher power!
>
>So I figured, buying one of these, probably wouldn't help at all.
>
>After this, I began working my way over to the booth of another company that
>I knew sold tuners - Palstar.
>
>I got to the Palstar booth and to my delight their tuners looked absolutely
>awesome.  Plate spacing was at least twice and possibly three times larger
>than anyone else's.  Construction looked to be of an excellent quality and
>the units were rated at 3KW or greater (if memory serves me).
>
>They weren't cheap.  The AT4K with a built in antenna switch, LED bargraph
>and so forth was over $900.  However, they were selling the AT4K-BAL which
>has a single input and a single output (either balanced or coax) and none of
>the electronic metering.  This unit sold for around $700.  Since this
>configuration was similar to the Heathkit I had, I decided that this was the
>tuner for me.  First I wasn't going to buy it but wait a couple of months.
>Then I decided, "What the heck!"  So I went and bought the unit they had on
>display.
>
>Well, upon getting the tuner home, I immediately went to 80M, tuned up and
>VIOLA! - NO ARCING!!  So, I was like, COOL!  I've used the tuner on just
>about all bands now at full legal limit and it works just great.  It will
>even tune my 80 m dipole on 160 m which is something my Heathkit wouldn't

/\  The Heath tuner would quite likely have worked if you had a broadband
 75/80m double-dipole -- i.e., two dipoles in an X config.  One dipole
resonates at 3.6MHz and one resonates at 3.9MHz.  The result is even
better than sliced bread.
.
>My only complaint about the unit is that the roller inductor is a little
>stiff and hard to turn in some spots, but that will probably get better over
>time.

/\  Finely-powdered  graphite mixed with Mobil 1 5w oil might do just
fine.  Use minimal oil so that the conductance of the lubricant will be
high.

cheers, Jon.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end