[AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:15:28 -1000
Hi all,

You can learn a lot about how the T-tuner will operate
using the simulator at this link:

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/tuner/tuner.html

You will notice that the maximum power transfer efficiency
just about always will happen when either the input or
output network capacitor is at full mesh.  You can also
discover just how much capacity is needed for max
efficiency.  I have donw a lot of experimenting with this
simulator vs.  the component values in my AT4K by Paul
Hrivnak of Palstar;  he did a very good job in component
value selection.  Plus,  his tuner has a fixed C which can
be switched in as needed when the output  C is already
at max capacitance.  This occurs when the transmission
line Z at the tuner output terminal is low;  like,  maybe under
25 ohms or so.  The variables in the Palstar are 350 pf, 6kv and
he added C is also a fixed 350 pf, 7.5kv

73,  Jim  KH7M