Fwd: [AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: [AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com (ToddRoberts2001@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:53:57 EDT

--part1_83.be7eacb.28613205_boundary

I sure enjoyed the review of the Palstar tuner, sounds like a nice one.
Personally though,. I have never liked tuners with air-variable capacitors.
They are prone to arcing over as John has noted, they collect dust in-between
the plates and for an adequate voltage rating they just take up too much
room. To do it right I recommend using vacuum-variable capacitors in a tuner.
They are sealed, they stay in like-new condition inside, and you can find
them at 10KV voltage ratings at reasonable prices on eBay, in the $100-$150
price range. When you consider the new cost of a vacuum variable capacitor
today in the $1000-$2000 price range and up, the ones on eBay are a
tremendous bargain. 73 Todd Roberts WD4NGG  .

--part1_83.be7eacb.28613205_boundary