[AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton
From: wd0ct@networksplus.net (Steven Moore)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:09:21 -0500
Hi all,

Speaking of cheap--I built an el-cheapo version of Measures tuner that is on
his web site. It uses 2 pieces of pvc, some number 12 wire, 1 air variable,
clip leads, a wood board base, an old ice cream bucket, and some 213 coax
for a choke balun. It is all out in the open and I can change bands in a
flash. Easily handles legal limit with no arcing and no heating. A friend
uses one like it with his pair of 4x1000 with a little bigger air variable.

I use it on all bands 80-10 with 450 ohm ladder line to a 120 foot inv vee.
I have about $15 tied up in this tuner. Yeah I know it may sound ugly and
crude but another friend has one like it and he put it in an old computer
case. He hinged one side for a flip up lid for band switching the clip
leads.

I love nice equipment as much as the next guy but I've owned and built
several "T' type tuners and they all had arcing or bad heating
problems-{excess heat tells me poor efficiency]. This tuner might not give a
perfect 1:1 match with the clip leads but it is close enough to count.

By the way I don't have rf problems in the shack or tvi with it.

73   Steve  wd0ct