[AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:45:06 -0500
on 6/20/01 7:15 AM, teamw at teamw@quixnet.net wrote:

> 1) I found this submission quite incredible. Why would anyone in their right
> mind with a few dollars worth of wire in a dipole with its characteristic
> narrow bandwidth spend hundreds of dollars to replace a good ATU with one to
> handle the deficiency of the antenna?
> For a few dollars the dipole could have been broadbanded. There are plenty
> of examples in the ARRL Antenna book or some extra lengths of cheap wire to
> make it into a cage type dipole. Another solution is to use parallel wires
> cut to different freqs. in the same band.
> Why do we just throw money at problems instead of using common sense?

I take offense to this comment since I posted the original message.

1.) You have no idea what my dipole looks like.  For your information it is
a dipole with multiple lengths of wire cut for different bands.  I really
cannot add another set of wires to it nor do I have the space to add another
antenna.

2.) For your information, I began having problems with the older tuner on
multiple bands.  The design of that tuner is really not for full legal limit
plus head room.  To have arcing starting to occur on a tuner in the middle
of a run during a contest is not my idea of a good time (it happened).  I
prefer to operate with some margin built into my equipment.  The old tuner
is probably designed for 1000 to 1200 Watts or so.

3.) Very simply - I WANTED TO.  Why the hell not?  If I decide I can afford
it, then why not.  Why do I drive a nice car that cost me over $30K US when
I could drive a used piece o crap for $2000?  Because I can and I like nice
things.

So I think your comment is snobbish and really full of you know what.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden