[Amps] modern 811 designs?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] modern 811 designs?
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Fri Apr 4 13:16:13 2003

>Hi Folks,
>
>Can anyone point out any good 811a amp designs on the web, or elsewhere?
>I'm considering building an 811 based amp for a "beginner-amp-builder"
>project.  Basically, I'm just looking for something fairly simple, and
>cheap, I can build and learn from.  Besides, I probably have most of the
>parts I need in the old junk box.

?  this should be an interesting project, Dan.  If I were going to build
an 811A amplifier, I would use c. eight tubes in parallel since an 811A's
anode-dissipation is only 65w.  This would yield 520w of available
dissipation and around 1.6A of anode-current -- plenty for a legal-limit
SSB linear amplifier.  //  The story about so many tubes in parallel just
not working on 10m is unsliced bologna because adding more tubes
proportionately reduces RL, which means more proportionately more Tune-C
is needed.   A 200w transceiver should drive 8. 811As quite nicely.