Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Intermittent HV Short

To: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Intermittent HV Short
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:19:16 -0800
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:28:38 -0800, R. Measures wrote:

>?  tnx.  Gassy tubes usually don't blow the fuse, they draw anode-I on
>standby.

Ok, if you say so.  My only experience with a known gassy tube was a
3-500Z in a Heathkit SB-1000.  I powered up the amp after it had been
sitting for about five years.  The fuse blew instantly.  I connected it
to a variac and slowly raised the line voltage.  The tube started
glowing a nice purple inside and was obviously gassy.

My AL-1200, on the other hand, developed it's problem relatively
overnight, so gas may not be a likely culprit.  I mentioned it only
because of the possibility.  More likely, something internal shorted.

--
73, Bill W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW