RE: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion

To: "'amps@contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion
From: "Georgens, Tom" <tom.georgens@engenio.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:08:21 -0800
Thanks to all respondents for the thoughts.

A few comments.

1.  The fact that it does not happen with the other amps does work against
my theory.  I should note that the other amps are not the same (AL1200,
TL922, AL80A).  That said, I don't think it disqualifies the theory.  The
AL1200 can probably absorb the spike.  The TL922A relay is so slow, the
spike may pass before the relay closes.  No guess on the AL80A.

2.  The RFsense in the Centurion is in support of QSK.  It is not intended
to work the way I inadvertently used it.  It is true that it necessitates
hot switching of the relay.  I do believe that it supports the theory of an
overshoot transient.  Oddly, the despite the hot switching, the transceiver
does not fold back.  Conversely, the TL922 is so slow that it does cause
foldback.  Even if the RFsense makes the problem go away, this is not how I
wish to operate the amp.  I still would want to understand root cause.

3.  The padder cap transient response suggestion is a good one.  However,
when not arcing, the amp works exactly as expected with the settings where
the manual suggests they should be. The padder caps are also both used on 80
as well.

4.  I do not think the antenna is much of a factor.  It is a halfwave
inverted V at 90 feet.  Admittedly, it is not a pure resistive 50 ohms at
all frequencies but it should be well within the tuning range of the amp.  I
mention it just so that you all know it is nothing exotic or dramatically
shortened.  I believe it to be free of intermittent connections.

5.  K2VCO's suggestion on the carrier level is something I will try.  I may
be causing this myself.

6.  Could advancing the load control slightly help out?

7.  I was also going to try and see if the problem still happened with the
radio autotuner on in case it impacted any potential spike.

8.  Ten Tec suggested that the variable cap is probably pitted, causing the
arc.  I do not think this is the problem as the arc is not always in the
same place.

73, Tom