Re: [Amps] Tetrodes in GG Configuration

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tetrodes in GG Configuration
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:53:35 -0500
I'd like to point out another tetrode configuration which has some useful characteristics, and that is cathode driven, but not zero bias.

Lew Gordon, K4VX is a well known amateur, contester, and former ARRL Director. One time when I was visiting him (in Hannibal, MO - Tom Sawyer's fictional home town!) Lew showed me an amplifier project he has just completed. The 28 MHz amp at his station was a 4-1000A strapped as a GG triode that had served long and faithful duty, but was worn out. He had been given a 4CX3000A tetrode which he was determined to put into service. Now those of us who know Lew know that he's a legal limit kind of guy - 1500.0 watts output is his target. How's a guy like this going to utilize a 3000W dissipation tetrode?

Cathode driven is how, but not in a zero bias, strapped as a triode configuration. The grid has negative voltage, and the screen has medium high voltage, very similar to that of a grid driven configuration. However, cathode drive produces less gain than grid driven which in this application was not a problem. If I recall correctly, Lew said that 75W drive from the IC-765 produced 1500W output on 28 MHz. I think the anode voltage was 4700VDC no-load. The only real bummer is the filament requirements - 7.5V @ 51A or so.

The beauty of such an amp is that it will last forever with a 3000W tube producing 1500W.

73,

Dave/K8CC