Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage

To: "Colin Lamb" <k7fm@teleport.com>, <dhallam@rapidsys.com>,"Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:03:52 -0600
> "Items should be packaged to survive a fall
> of several feet from a conveyor.  It happens."
>
> That is the key.  I assume that a package will be dropped 4 feet.  If after
> packing the unit you are shipping, you are not willing to drop it that
> distance, there is a good chance it will be damaged in shipping.

As a retired pilot for a major package freight company, I have witnessed many
incidents where package damage occurred during the sorting process. This is not
a problem unique to one carrier...all freight must be sorted at least three
times during its trip to destination. This is done on miles and miles of
conveyer belts in multi-storied buildings. As long as the packages are placed
on
the belt in close proximity things usually go well. I have seen packages roll
down the belt from one story to another, spinning like a well thrown football.
The collision at the end of the  fall wreaks havoc on both the falling package
and the one it hits. The 800 pound gorillas still work for these carriers, but
would guess that more damage occurs during the automated travel of a package
than by human abuse. If I was to ship or receive radio gear that could not be
replaced, Greyhound seems to me to be the safest route.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC