Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage

To: <Amps@contesting.com>, "W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:43:21 -0800
  From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan
  To: Amps@contesting.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:03 AM

  "I don't know how the USPS handles things now, but in those "old days"
  I would never ship Parcel Post unless the item was indestructible.
  I think it is better now, in large part caused by competition from
  UPS."

  I recall many years ago I shipped a Measurements, Inc FM signal generator to
the factory for alignment via parcel post.
   When it arrived via back parcel post, the package and the instrument (fully
insured, whew!!) looked like it had been pierced by a .50 cal bullet.
  Needless to say, the sig gen was destroyed, I was of the opinion at the time
it was going to take an act of congress to get USPS to correct (and regret)
their handling error. They finally (two months later) did.  Funny how episodes
such as this stick in a person's mind.

  But as of late USPS priority mail  service is on par of what UPS was when
they came into their fame in the mid-late sixties.  And it seems that now FedEx
is on the ball for the occasional shipper of heavy precious electronic parts
and such.
  73,
  Gary... wa6fgi