Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Re: Shipping Damage

To: lncarman@swbell.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Re: Shipping Damage
From: Japerlick@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:49:44 EST
I can share my own UPS horror story...we bought an HP 8568B Spectrum Analyzer
from an east coast dealer.  He left it up to a local Mail Boxes Etc to pack
and ship the unit. That was our first mistake....MBE is run by local
franchisees who are usually shipping cookies from Grandma and often don't have
knowledge
of necessary packaging requirements for sensitive electronics.  The box
arrived. It was an 8568B, in many little pieces, bashed in in many places,
inside a
double-wall box.  The little foam that was used was all crushed.  I
immediately called the shipper, MBE, UPS and everyone....I was incredulously
angry and
devastated.  But, since MBE had forgotten to add the insurance, there was
nothing anybody could do....except I could send the instrument off for
expensive
repairs.

I asked UPS what their response would have been if the unit had been insured.
 THey said "Same thing....we would not cover it because it was poorly
packaged."   In reality, they are right...their job is to move the package not
pack
it.  So, the first rule is you have to find someone that can pack well.  Once
it is in the "system" there is little anyone can do to recover from damage if
you have not packaged it well.