Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

To: <G3rzp@aol.com>, <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:26:26 -0800
Has anyone thought of calling Bird corp and asking this question?  If I were to
measure power out with a bird meter, I would accept it as "that's that."  I
used to care for my watt meter and the elements with the same care as I would
give a piece of fine crystal.  Imo, there was something special in there and I
didn't want it to break.  And if an element looked damaged, off it went to
Solon, OH for a checkup. And for all of the elements the were returned from the
checkup, none were found to be "out of spec."
 The readings of power out on  bird wattmeter have been as accurate as can be
obtained.  And that has been over the entire long haul.  At the risk of
sounding simple, volts x current draw = watts,  power in. Look at the bird,
that will give watts going out to the world along with the efficiency
(inefficiency?) of the transmitter.
I'll wager  a buck or two,  if one lined up a random number of bird elements
and took the reading a random moment in time, the difference from all the
readings obtained from  all of the elements wouldn't make a tinker's dam.
Bird is generally accepted as "the standard for power output measurement."
That's good enough for me.  Ah...it's plain to see I'm not much of a
philosopher.
My .02 on this
73 to all,
Gary... wa6fgi