[Amps] RE : Bird Element Calibration?

To: "'David Kirkby'" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>,"'VK3HE Craig'" <vk3he@hotmail.com>
Subject: [Amps] RE : Bird Element Calibration?
From: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:49:37 -0000
Hey all,

I owned  my first Bird ( model 43 ) in 1968 when I started as a field
engineer in Mobil service. Today 2005 " The Bird " is still active
............with the same set of slugs. A termalin 50 Ohm 25 Watts is
still part of the team.
Robust for the field work, one can be sure. Accuracy ..... never saw one
better then 10% even 10% were rare birds in the Bird family. Our Birds
were controlled, not calibrated, every year by our metrology service as
part of contractual obligation. What was less knowen is that the % of
accuracy often approached  20% as a function during wide temperature
changes.
At least the Bird model 43 was, and I suppose still is, a marvellous
tool in the field to confirm our equipement behaviour was still in the
good direction.

Before I became in charge of our Mobil Radio service, I also leaded
military telecom bandwork,( for those who remember the ANGRC ) measuring
HF power for the military receptions where done with calorie meters as
Dr David Kirby mentioned before. How its done nowadays, I have no idea,
but I am still happy with my 37 years old BIRD. ( The older bird.....
that?s an other debate I am afraid.)

Jos on4kj