Re: [Amps] HV Switch Mode Power Supplies

To: jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Switch Mode Power Supplies
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:55:06 GMT
Hi Jason,
  This topic seems to pop up here every couple years.

   Unless weight (or size?) is THE important factor there is probably no other
sound reason to employ a SPS when one considers the added complications.

   I do happen to have a 3KW design under (very slow) construction myself...
kind of pondering at the moment whether to use a large heatsink for all the
semi's or a smaller assembly with a fan to remove about 120 watts at full load.

   Someday I'll be posting the details on a webpage, if I can ever conjure up a
decent menu that works crossbrowser -- what a can of worms that can be!!.

73 & Good afternoon,
  Marv WC6W

-- "DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA)" <jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov> wrote:
I have seen very little discussion in the amateur community for HV Switch
Mode Power supplies in conjunction with RF amplifiers.  With the increased
difficulty of finding 60Hz 2400VAC transformers as well as the light-weight
advantages of using switch mode power supplies, I'm surprised there has been
no discussion thus far for homebrewing these for amateur use.

Jason
KB5URQ