Re: [Amps] HV Switch Mode Power Supplies

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Switch Mode Power Supplies
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:16:56 +0100
Will Matney wrote:
> David,
>
> You are correct on the regulation. A regular transformer type power supply
> when designed right will have a regulation somewherre around 11-14%. In the
> case of the switching supply, it looks like 30-35%. 1000 kV drop over 1 amp
> is a good bit of sag.
>
> Best,
>
> Will

I would have thought that cause serious non-linearity problems on SSB.

Having gone to a switch mode design, I would have thought they used some
feedback to keep the voltage constant. But it seems not. Given the line
voltage will probably sag too at 2.5kV, you can rekon on over a kV drop
in practice.

I assume you mean 1kV sag, or 1000V, and not 1000kV !! Reminds me of a
lecturer I know who got fed up with the cleaners moving his equipment
that worked from 12V. So he decided to put a sign on it

"Danger, 1200000 uV"

Apparently nobody touched it any more.