Re: [Amps] Mobile amps

To: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile amps
From: "K4IBC" <k4ibc@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:10:10 -0400
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:56 PM

> Carl,
>
> They're pretty much all the same, or the ones that use dead bug
construction except for a few. There is the following brands I know of that
I've seen the innards of that were ok to convert. Below are a few;

> X-Force
> Davemade
> Fatboy
> Skywalker
> Joker
> Armadillo
>
> The Snowcap Technologies brand is junk I think as they make a realy flimsy
cabinet out of what looks to be aluminum gutter flashing. It's pretty rough.
There's another named Big Dawg which always had a pretty bad rep but I've
not seen one up close to really say. There's other brands too I couldn't
comment on because I've never seen under the hood.

> For ones with printed boards, those Palomar brand knockoffs are ok but
they're bias is unconnected at the factory. They still sell them saying
they're class AB1 but when you look, they're class C. They tried to just use
a series resistor and a clamp diode for bias and evidently their design
wouldn't work. Which all the others besides Joker did that type of bias
circuit too. The Palomar knockoffs also have a double sided pc board and the
through connections are bad to break as the soldering isn't great.

> First thing is to rip out all the wire they generally have strung all over
Gods creation and re-wire it correctly. Get rid of the rats nest keying
circuit they're using, and put one in that is correct for the use. Lift the
ground on the input transformers and connect the bias. Add feedback if it
dont have it as some dont. Add an attenuator for amateur transceivers. Add a
tuned output if it dont have it and place a good low pass filter behind it.
If used over the whole amateur band, add a good bandswitching circuit. This
would be the minimum. You can add safety circuitry to trip out on a high
SWR. Over current protections, etc. which is the bells and whistles. It's
all according to how much you want to spend and modify one.