Re: [Amps] Mobile Amps

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile Amps
From: "Dr. William J. Schmidt, II" <bill@wjschmidt.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:55:07 -0500
Will,

I seen you discuss adding "air variables", etc. to the output circuits of
transistor amps before... and can't quite figure out why one would do that.
I've built and converted many transistor amps in the past, and they all used
a nice set of high quality wide-band transformers... and a good gain
leveling circuit that would cost just a few dollars.  Anyone that reads the
handbook or Schoneke's book ("Single Sideband Systems")... should be able to
design and build adequate transformers.  If its the antenna that's causing
an SWR problem... its probably better to fix the antenna than build a pseudo
antenna match into the amp.

I see the mentioned amp lacks any harmonic filters.  I *suppose* one could
argue that the antenna is the filter network in a mobile situation.

Sincerely,

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II  K9HZ
Trustee of the North American QRO - Central Division Club - K9ZC

Email: bill@wjschmidt.com
WebPage: www.wjschmidt.com

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that
will do them in."  -- Bradley's Bromide