Re: [Amps] Energy stored in capacitor bank ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Energy stored in capacitor bank ?
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:18:34 -0500
I try to keep the HV PS capacitance at about 25uF with a 50% safety margin.
All the amps I've built have used 3800VDC to 5000VDC at one to two amps. Oh!
in a couple supplies I used a choke input with about 12 uF. All seemed to
work nicely for me. I've never ran the lower voltage tubes, say around 2000
VDC, but I guess 35 uF would be more adequate for 1.5 plus amperes at 2000
VDC than 25 uF.

There has to be a chart somewhere out there on the www that shows ripple
percentage based on voltage, current and capacitance. Maybe it's in the ARRL
handbook somewhere. What would  be better is an on-line calculator to take
the brain work out of it. If anyone has or finds this, let me know so I can
put it on my website.

Regards,
Larry