Re: [Amps] Energy stored in capacitor bank ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Energy stored in capacitor bank ?
From: Ian White G/GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:05:10 +0100
Larry Carman wrote:
>I try to keep the HV PS capacitance at about 25uF with a 50% safety
>margin. All the amps I've built have used 3800VDC to 5000VDC at one to
>two amps. Oh! in a couple supplies I used a choke input with about 12
>uF. All seemed to work nicely for me. I've never ran the lower voltage
>tubes, say around 2000 VDC, but I guess 35 uF would be more adequate
>for 1.5 plus amperes at 2000 VDC than 25 uF.
>
>There has to be a chart somewhere out there on the www that shows
>ripple percentage based on voltage, current and capacitance. Maybe it's
>in the ARRL handbook somewhere. What would  be better is an on-line
>calculator to take the brain work out of it. If anyone has or finds
>this, let me know so I can put it on my website.

The 'PSU Designer' program ends all the guesswork.

Follow the links from my site, and also collect the expanded rectifiers
file for HV supplies:
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/best-of.htm#psud

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek