Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: kdutson@sbcglobal.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:02:07 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/2005 6:51:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kdutson@sbcglobal.net writes:

I agree  with you Tony.  I ran a new 240 VAC circuit for my Alpha  which
specifies 20A.  I used 10 AWG for the run to ensure least  voltage drop over
the 100 foot path from the mains panel and put it on a  30A breaker.  I think
the difference in cost from 14 AWG wire and 20A  breaker was less than $5.
This was back in 1995, so the cost difference is  likely a bit higher now
with increased cost of  copper.

It might be prudent to change the 30A breaker to a 20A breaker.  In  some
cases, a CB will trip before internal protection.  In case of a fault,  you
don't
want to fry you nice Alpha amp.  The #10 wire is fine and needed  for a long
run like 100 feet.  Good choice.