Re: [Amps] AC wiring

Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:11:06 -0400
I wonder if we could clarify this question?

Solder in protection grounding circuits is a no no because the thermal
heating of a lightning strike will likely cause the joint to open and
that's why the recommendation for exothermic welds (especially to ground
rods) but soldering was always approved for current carrying circuits
since it makes for a superior electrical connection. I subscribe to the
twisting, soldering and then applying the wire nut method with the
addition of a few turns of Scotch 33 to keep that nut from turning.
Solder is always better than a simple twisted wire connection so that is
why I wondered if it really is a violation (not allowed) or just "not
required". Is there a specific code section that prohibits soldering in
current carrying wires?

Thanks and 73, Tony W4ZT