Re: [Amps] Antenna traps

To: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Antenna traps
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:17:59 -0800
  From: Gene Bigham
  To: amps@contesting.com
  Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:16 PM
  Subject: [Amps] Antenna traps

  I know this is not about amplifiers, except for being able to use one on a
  trapped antenna, but has anyone found a set of traps for 40 and 80 that can
  handle a legal amplifier output?
  I have now fried two sets of 40 traps by Unadilla and one set of 80's which
  the new replacements have not been tried at power yet.
  The old traps shorted through the cap insulating material, they were old but
  never used, so I thought the epoxy was just old.  The new ones have melted
  the blue insulator on which the coil is wound on these 40 meter traps with
  500 watts power level.
  I tuned the antenna to resonance of 1:2 to 1 SWR, worked several stations,
  increased power level and after two hours and 500 watts started seeing swr
  creep up slow then rapid.  Examination showed the blue material melted and
  oozed between coil turns and the coils are now also intermittent.
  I need some bullet proof traps.
  Any ideas?
  Thanks in advance
  Gene Bigham