Re: [Amps] How about this furnace?

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How about this furnace?
From: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 13:19:30 +0100
In a 3-phase environment which is standard nowadays in
central Europe that is no problem at all, at 20KW input you
need 28A per phase.
It is very unlikely that you get corona on the antennas with just
10-14KW of output power.
One who invests in such a big commercial amp probably
also has no problem with ihis electricity bill but don´t need
his heating system during the winter anymore

73
Peter

Von: "Peter Chadwick" <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>

> What puzzles me about this size amp in ham use is where you get the AC
power from for it. If you ran it at full whack, you'd be needing to peak
around 20kW from the mains, or around 100 amps from a single phase on
220volts. (let's not imagine running it from 115!) So you'd probably need 3
phase, which isn't standard domestically..... Running it 'conservative'
still means a lot of filament power - 781 watts, according to my Eimac data.
> So for emergency comms, you'd need a damn big generator - or battery
(sic), while for 'normal' use, you need to be pretty well heeled just to pay
the electricity bill.
> Antenna requirements at this sort of power level are a problem, too, with
flashovers, corona and all sorts of difficulties.
> Life may be too short for QRP, but the difficulties of this sort of level
of QRO start getting a bit much for an amateur installation.