Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:24:19 -0500
Rich,

I'm not sure, but you know as me that lathes have only certain threads possible
by the gear ratios in the quick-change gearbox. Most I've seen that you can do
is the standard or metric threads and multiples thereof. About the only way to
change that would be some special gearing to the feed screw. Then would the
thread dial work to know when to pull the half-nut leaver? Again, a CNC might
be able to do this, or use of a special lathe/screw machine. Just trying to
figure 23 in my head, and know whats available on the gearbox on most standard
lathes, I cant see getting that ratio. A 20 and 23 tooth gear would do it, but
I've never seen anything but even numbers of teeth on lathe gears for both
metric and inch. 12, 32, and 40 TPI are all standard threads obtainable from a
lathe. Heck, they could even use a thread mill but what about the internal
thread, the same thing? That one has me stumped on how to obtain it on standard
machines.

Best,

Will