Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:03:30 -0500
Bill,

What I was thinking is that if that capacitor has an odd number, and a counter
an even, if you wanted to set the counter up to read 100 when the capacitor is
fully meshed, or a 0 when fully out, it might not be possible, and the counter
would hit a stop at 100 making the cap stop before it's fully meshed. If one
wanted to set up a gear train to do this, it would be impossible to do with
stock gears, sprockets, or timing belts. Plain belts though could be used with
the correct size pulleys. Now I mentioned earlier that a 20 and a 23 tooth
gear/sprocket could be used but the problem here is a 23 tooth gear is an
odball size and non-standard. Most all stock gears off the shelf are in even
numbers and multiples of 10, 11, 12, and so on in full numbers. When 23 is
divided by 2, you cant get a whole number from it so it would be the smallest
makable. They go as low as 10 but under that undercut of the tooth flanks is
bad and they dont recommend it. Most use multiples of 10 thru 20.
  This because most gear trains are figured to come out on even number ratios
or rarely 1/2 numbers like 10-1/2 to 1. Another reason is the center distances
between shafts come out measurable in inches by using standard sizes. An
oddball size will give an oddball center distance. A 23 tooth could be ordered,
but again, that's an extra cost. Anyhow, that would be a mess to get a dial to
count correct for the full mesh and unmesh.

Best,

Will