Re: [Amps] Henry 8K

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 8K
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:34:47 -0400
Jail Time?

Fines?

We've got ham "broadcasters" with HiFi audio and 6KHz+
signals on 75 meters running two 4-1000A's modulated
by two 4-1000A's in AM with audio chains modifying
the emphasis and they go on and on.

We've got CB'ers who run two 3CX20,000A7's
and 1-5/8" heliax to arrays on towers and they go on and on.

For the most part the technicians among us are still self-policing.
It's a point of pride to work on reducing IMD and to generate
the cleanest and most narrow signal to punch through the pile-up
in a contest.  Imagine the negative feedback and bad reputation
we would accumulate if we didn't pay attention to engineering
our stations.

Headroom is perfectly acceptable. Splatter isn't.

Like Rich says, we could run our 4CX15,000A tetrode
amplifiers day in and day out with nary a complaint,
simply because we care what the waveform is.

Mr. Hollingsworth would probably be pleased to
visit most shacks from members of this reflector
and never raise an eyebrow when he understood
the means we employ to control our emissions.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM