Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:49:36 -0700
On Sun,  2 Jul 2006 11:53:42 +0200 (CEST), Peter Chadwick wrote:

>In my case, the neutral is connected to a ground rod at base of the
>electricity pole in the garden, the 'safety ground' for the house
>is a ground rod by the front door, and the RF grounds are rods
>around the tower and the mast for the VHF antennas.

>From my understanding of electrical codes in the UK, what you are
doing is not only unsafe, it is also illegal. The bond between
neutral and earth in the UK is made within the mains system, not at
your premises. Further, it is quite important from a safety point of
view that all your earth connections be bonded together, NOT
separated.

It IS entirely correct to treat the neutral as separate from earth.

Jim Brown K9YC