Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 08:02:27 -0700
On Jul 4, 2006, at 6:50 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:53:53 -0700, R L Measures wrote:
>
>> Correct.  The 240v outlet on my Honda generator has 4 conductors, and
>> two of them carry zero current.  How does this make it safe?
>
> 1) I have no idea how your Honda generator is wired, whether it has
> protection
> devices (breakers or fuses),

Dual breakers

> or how you intend to use it.

During an electrical outage, I switch off the mains breaker, connect
a home made West Hollywood cable (two male connectors) from the
generator's 240v outlet to the 3-wire outlet for the Plywood Box
Amplifier. and power up the joint until So. Cal. Edison gets around
to undertaking an expedition to venture out here to the boondocks to
fix whatever's busted.  Since the Honda averages about 4-hours on a
gallon of gasoline, and I typically keep 10 - 40 gallons on hand, we
can go up to a week without the grid.

> 2) The tutorial I prepared several years ago on power and grounding
> addresses
> power safety issues. This should answer your questions.
>
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish
>
> 73,
>
> Jim

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734