Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:57:30 -0400
>>Perhaps the reason is that manufactures of amateur amplifiers are almost
>>always hams and just duplicate amplifier layouts from the past.

To your point, I suspect that if we were to put the question to the designer
of every commercial amplifier to explain the exact mathematical analysis
used in determining their chosen R/L parasitic values, few, if any, could
offer a solid explanation.

Or, what of the HF amps that use no suppressors at all?  Give me the
analysis that conclusively says that the amp I purchase, will never be
subject to a parasitic oscillation.  If it's because of the use of extremely
short lead lengths, great. But show me.  Better still, how about putting it
in a time-unlimited warranty if there's such a strong feeling about it?

Logically, I don't look at the lack of available commercial amps with
Nichrome suppressors as any indication of their practicality (or lack
thereof).  In fact, there are low-cost circuit ideas I believe should be
incorporated that are not available in today's amplifiers.  Should I condemn
every manufacturer for not including some of these basic ideas?

At one time, Emtron offered one of their early amps with Nichrome
suppressors.  I do not know if they found some rational reason for changing
More plausibly, they simply did not want to get "caught up" in the
nonsensical debates.

If you're a manufacturer, would you really want to be spending all your time
on the phone defending your use of Nichrome as a result of all the
destructive discussions when you've got a business to run?

Paul, W9AC