Re: [Amps] LK 500 ZA heat

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"dave arruzza" <w1ctn@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK 500 ZA heat
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:57:33 -0400
> Pulling air out is a bad idea. Fans do a terrible job of
> sucking air. Think of them as pressure amplifiers.
>
> If you pressurize the inlet of a fan or blower, it greatly
> increases outlet pressure. If you draw on the outlet it
> hardly changes airflow. The inlet fan largely sets the
> volume of air. The same is true for restrictions. If you
> restrict an inlet, there is a huge air volume change. If you

Tell that to the millions of car owners with electric fans that pull the air
thru the restrictive radiator. Tests have long proven that trying to push
the air thru the radiator is a bad idea.

Placing a small fan in exhaust mode has also saved many sweep tube rigs from
premature tube failure. Ask anyone who used Drake C Line in contests for
example.

Amp Supply simply used poor choices for the fans as well as very little
egress for the hot air. Ive seen several of those amps with portions of the
tops and sides cut out and replaced by perforated aluminum. Mine has a stock
cover but the paint is discolored.

Amp Supply also switched to the proper switch design about mid way thru the
life of that ZC product. I was a consultant to Denny and received the
LK-500ZC and a LK-781 as part payment. Unfortunately the company went under
shortly after due to Dennys personal problems.

Carl
KM1H