Re: [Amps] commercial amplifier cooling

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] commercial amplifier cooling
From: schuetzen <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:02:02 -0600
Pete Smith wrote:
> I don't know offhand what the L4 uses as its cooling blower, but my SB-220
> has a large fan (rather than a squirrel-cage blower) that is mounted in the
> back of the cabinet and blows directly on the tubes.  What I did was to
> place a small "muffin fan" - like the ones in computer power supplies -
> directly above the tubes on the upper cabinet.  It operates as you suggest,
> sucking air from the area around the tubes, and I have found it definitely
> helps keep the tubes cool.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

good idea Pete, what do you power it with??  I have about 15 fans of
all sizes but they ran off the tower's three color wire leads from the
PS.  have no idea what the VAC was they were running on. maybe about 5v?

so, your idea has me very curious on a couple of different aspects.  I
really believe that like all things with filaments in them, the cooler
you can keep them, the longer they will last.  I doubt that they would
like zero degrees F. but... certainly keeping them at or close to room
temp would not be bad if it could be done.<G>

thanks
chas, K5DAM