Re: [Amps] commercial amplifier cooling

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] commercial amplifier cooling
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:57:28 -0500
Pete Smith wrote:
> I bought a couple of 80mm 115 volt AC fans and wired them in series, so
> they are a little quieter - one hangs behind my principal transceiver and
> helps me keep it cool, while the other sits on top of the amplifier.  I
> have had a problem with filaments melting out of their pins on this amp,
> and the fan seems to help considerably, as did my recent swapping of grid
> and filament springs in the sockets so as to get a bit better filament
> connections.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

If you want extra air and have the room, and don't require the back
pressure, go with low RPM 120 mm fans. The new computer systems are
doing this, moving more air, better cooling, and very low noise. On top
of  that the high volume, low velocity air doesn't have the dust
problems inherent with small (80mm), high speed, high velocity fans.

The smallest fan on the 4 main computers here is 90 mm (1600 RPM) with
the rest being
120 mm at 1200 to 1800 RPM and noise factors less than 20 dB.  The older
80 mm fans ran 38 to 40+ dB.

73

Roger (K8RI)