Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B
From: Scott Manthe <n9aa@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:29:38 -0400
Joe,
The AL-811h is what it is, bad design or not. I'm not here to debate
that. I live in this world, not the best of all possible worlds, as
Voltaire might say. Given that, the 572Bs, even the generic Chinese
tubes, which is the only version currently available, are a good choice
in the AL-811H. They are certainly more reliable in this particular
application than the 811A.

Hopefully, you've got a good supply of N.O.S. American made tubes. No
one else does however, so whatever your complaints are regarding the
Chinese tubes, it doesn't really matter, because they're the only ones
available.

Your points are well taken regarding the Chinese tubes and the higher
voltage the AL-811H puts on the 811A, but we're not talking that. The
question was whether the 572B was a good replacement in this particular
application. Given these parameters, the answer is yes.

73,
Scott, N9AA