Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

To: <Amps@contesting.com>, "Paul M Dunphy" <amplifier@ve1dx.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:54:08 -0400
From: "Paul M Dunphy" <amplifier@ve1dx.net>
To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:23 PM

> At 11:58 PM 4/9/2008, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>

>>Unless the newer tubes are designed for higher plate voltages
>>the 572B would be a safer choice.  However, I don't see any
>>really reliable 572B.  I would certainly would not use a generic
>>$39 Chinese 572B.
>>
>>73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>     There are not any really reliable 572Bs, Joe.  Trust me.  I and
> many other have looked.  The Taylor name was bought out and they are
> now made China.  You can't get an RCA or a CETRON 572B/T160L unless
> it is 25 years old.

I have a NIB pair of 1992 Cetron USA here, not sure what their final shut
down was. I also had a pair of NIB Cetron US military 810's dated 1991 that
are now modulating a pair of 250TH's.

  Penta Labs are also made in China. (As I type
> this I am holding a "PENTA LABORATORITES, INC." 572B in my hand that
> says "CHATSWORTH, CA" on the base, and under that is printed "MADE IN
> CHINA."   Svetlana no longer make transmitting tubes (try to find a
> 4CX800A, the heart and soul of ACOM -1000/2000s, QRO Technologies,
> EMTRON and one of the newer Alphas -- the best you can get is an
> equivalent NOS GU74b EX:Soviet Union military tube . . . but that is
> another issue.)

Svetlana didnt build the 811/572, just put their name on them. Their 572's
were never designed as RF tubes either, just sold that way.
So where does one get the Russian equivalent of the Svetlana 4CX400A these
days?

>     As I said 2-3 times, there are absolutely no glass transmitting
> tubes made in North America any more.  This includes 811As, 572Bs,
> 3-500Zs, etc.  They might say Taylor, Marshall, Penta or lots of
> other things on them, but they also have PRC stamped on them.  PRC =
> People's Republic of China.

RF Parts claims the Marshall 811's are made in the USA. Anybody have info on
a plant location here?

Carl
KM1H