Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:22:46 -0400
> OTOH the 572s are much more rugged and tolerant.

The only difference is plate dissipation.  Operated at 1250 volts
on the plate and not overdriven, 4 x 811A have more than enough
plate dissipation for service at 800W PEP output.

> They should run until they die of old age.

The most likely failure is of the cathode - not the plate.  Since
the cathodes are the same, there will be no difference in life
between the two tubes unless someone tries to put a brick on the
key.

> Of course you can't get that cherry glow as quickly out of
> the 572s as with the 811s<:-))

Sure you can ... if the 572B is operated at or above its maximum
ratings like some 811As.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV