Re: [Amps] 1625

To: "Rex Lint" <rex@lint.mv.com>, "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <gzook@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1625
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:41:28 -0800
"The max rating for a 6AG7 is 300 V, so you ran them at 3.3 the max voltage!
It must be one tough tube.  The plate dissapation is 9 watts"

The maximum plate voltage for the 6AG7 in grid driven configuration is 300
volts.  Grounded grid configuration is quite different.  I know of no
published ratings for that, but it was obvious that the 1,000 volts did not
exceed their ability - because they ran for an extended period of time and
were still putting out what appeared to be the same power as when I started.
The tube shells are not discolored.  Although I have heard stories of
inverting them and running them in either oil or water, I did neither.  I
did not have a fan on them.

The tubes were free, I was poor, and I wanted to push the envelope (tube).
While my friends in high school were driving 80 mph on windy roads, or
riding motorcycles, my pushing the envelope simply involved running 4 tubes
in a manner not specified by the RCA tube manual, at a power which may have
exceeded the published plate diissipation.  I survived, it survived, and I
learned a bit.

My only regret was that, since the tubes survived, I did not push the
envelope far enough.  Until you push a tube to destruction, there is still
more to be learned.  I have been following rules all my life.  Flying
helicopters, I must keep the rotor blades within a certain rpm range.  Too
slow, and I die.  Too fast and I die.  Abusing those tubes to destruction
could have been my one bright spot of non-conformity.  Alas, I could not
even see how red the plates were, so they were not a bright spot  Every once
in awhile, I get the urge to bend the rules a bit.  It usually goes away,
though.

Maybe I will get that amp out again and see what it can do.

73,  Colin  K7FM