[Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:00:41 -0500
Good Day All,

Many thanks to all who responded to me re. my recent query as to the "...black
magic factor"(!) in determining the proper minimum value of plate chokes in
linear amplifiers...

I was fortunate in receiving some very FB tips & guidelines in this direction,
and have come to the conclusion that such devices should, essentially, be
"transparent" as to any possible interaction with other components in the tank
circuit.

In the case of 160-meters, my pea brain will still NOT allow me to see how a
choke of some 90- to 200-uh., or so (published values, per different articles),
could ever accomplish this!

I dug-up a rather interesting piece on this very subject that interested
parties might wish to follow-up on. It's entitled "UNDER CONSTRUCTION - PART
16: UNDERSTANDING AND CONSTRUCTING RF CHOKES" by Doug DeMaw (W1FB), and may be
found in the February 1987 issue of "QST" magazine, pp. 16 - 22.

Thanks again, fellas...

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ