Re: [Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes

To: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>, "Paul Kelley N1BUG" <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:42:32 -0700
Hmmmmnnnn- This all got my curiosity up enough to grab my reactance rule and
see what is going on .

If we use a 200 uhy choke at 160 meters - 1.8 mhz - its reactance is 2262
ohms, A capacitor that parallel resonates this at 1.8 mhz is 39 pfd so your
tune cap in a PI net would have to be 39 pfd larger than a "perfect -
invisible choke" - not very much compared to a 500 pfd or so tune cap.

Now if we pick a Q of 100 for the choke , Rp will be 226200 ohms (Rp=QXp) so
for a RMS plate swing of say 2000 volts the power lost in the choke will be
17.7 watts.  (2000 squared/226200). The RMS RF current in the choke will be
8.8 ma.

A bypass capacitor at the "cold" end of the choke of 5000 pfd - reactance
would be 17.7 ohms or a voltage divider of about 226218/18 or 12568 times .

So for a 2000 volt RMS swing the 1.8 mhz voltage across the 5000 pfd bypass
would be 2000/12568 or about 160 millivolts.

If Q was only 50 then it would be 35 watts lost and probably would go up in
smoke and even the 17.7 watts is gonna be fairly warm if wound on teflon
rather than a ceramic rod.

So dunno off hand why the extra choke should have made such a significant
difference on 160 unless perhaps its Q were quite low , but then I would
expect it to go up in smoke anyhow. But what works is what is important !

73 de hank K7HP