Re: [Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes

To: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:06:10 -0500
If you look at a few commercial ham amp designs you can see where they
skimped on the choke and bypassing. Ive been harping for years that the
primary cause of blown electrolytics in many amps is from RF coming
right down the B+ lead.

The MLA-2500, Clipperton L, DTR-2000, etc uses only 500pf as a bypass
for crying out loud! No wonder they blow filters and transformers.  Add
a .0047 or .01 and do the job right. 160/80M output goes up as well.

Ive run a Clipperton xfmr at well over 1500W with no smoke in my 432
amp. The customer insisted on a Dahl so I got the original cheap.

Any amp covering 160-10 should have at least a .0047 added in parallel
with whatever is there.

Carl
KM1H