Re: [Amps] Question for All Amp Builders...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question for All Amp Builders...
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:30:43 -0800 (PST)
You have gotten some very good replies....  I will add my 2 cents.  What the
circuit does is to transform the tube output impedance to what your load
is....for the most part...50 ohms.  There are some mathematical formulas that
give you the answer you need for C and L.  If I remember right, you have to
change the reactance  figures to pF and uH.  Then you need to select the right
cap....and the right inductor.  The cap is pretty easy, but I've always had
issues determining the L part...turns per inch vs. wire size vs diameter, etc.
Well, you will get a ballpark number  Or, use the spreadsheet as indicated.  Or
go out and find the web sites where you can plug in the data and it will figure
it for you.  I've always had trouble building the right size of coil.

But, you will need to actually tweak the C and L once you get started.  In the
old days, it was a lot of trial and error...and for me...mostly error.  Now it
is a little different....  Some guys use a antenna analyzer set on 50 ohms at
the output and a resistor on the imput of the tube impedance (from
manufacturing specs) and adjust the C and L to get a match.

Do not attempt this with the HV on.  Do it cold!  No HV.

But, the builders you are looking at have done the math and built the
circuit...and they did not pull the values out of a hat.

Your mileage my vary

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?