Re: [Amps] Question for All Amp Builders...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question for All Amp Builders...
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:57:48 -0600
My compliments to everyone who replied to Scott's request.  Constructive
answers.  This is great!

Scott I haven't built one either, I'm still collecting parts for 4
single-band amps.  One day I'll need the answer to this question too,
although I have read a lot about it.  Reading up on this kind of thing can
give you some confidence, especially when you start to read the same answer
over and over again from source after source.

I think about the most knowledge per page that I have found so far, since
I'm not an engineer really, is the old Eimac book "Care and Feeding of Power
Grid Tubes" - I bought one from someone on this list I think.  It's a quick
read and just cuts to the chase.

If you ever wondered why the output power is less than the input power, the
answer has to do with your question.  The tank circuit can be efficient or
inefficient and everything in between.  Most of the time the design goal is
to pick those components you're asking about so that you maximize the
efficiency of the amp.  For my part, I imagine I'll just follow the recipes
of smarter amp builders before me, and use a lot of what's lying around the
shack.

Mark, N5OT