Re: [Amps] [Moon-net] Major breakthrough with regenerative yagi.

Subject: Re: [Amps] [Moon-net] Major breakthrough with regenerative yagi.
From: John Wilson <amps@grebe.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:02:13 +0100
When I got the radio bug at about age 12 and had  received my first 2m
signals on a dipole and a super regen receiver, I learned from my school
physics that water had a dielectric constant of about 80.  This led me
to thinking that my 2m dipole would resonate on 1.8 MHz if I immersed it
in water (144/80 =1.8).  The only convenient large mass of water was the
bath so I tried this experiment and found that signals on 1.8 MHz were
much worse on the R1155 than with the random piece of wire outside.  To
this day I'm still not sure a) how I managed to avoid electrocuting
myself and b) that if it had been a plastic bath instead of cast iron I
might have found the holy grail i.e. the perfect indoor top band antenna.

John G3UUT