Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question

To: lists@subich.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:56:14 -0400
Rephrasing:
An amp should be tuned up AT the power level it's going to run, OR a
"tune" switch that gives less plate voltage but the amp is tuned up at
the same ratio of plate current to plate voltage it will run in the high
position. IOW some amps like my Alpha can be tuned up at reduced power
and then switched to high power for SSP and the Q will be correct for
the much higher PEP.  For amps that have very poor PS regulation it's
almost essential to tune in the TUNE position (if they have one) because
the plate voltage under a steady load in tune up is much less than with
SSB and would result in a mistuned condition. For amps being run at
reduced power they should be tuned up at that power level. I hope I
phrased all that correctly.

73

Roger (K8RI)