Re: [Amps] old mags

To: "Glen Zook" <gzook@yahoo.com>, "Ham-amps" <amps@contesting.com>, "Herzog" <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] old mags
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:38:49 -0500
From: "Glen Zook" <gzook@yahoo.com>
To: "Ham-amps" <amps@contesting.com>; "Herzog" <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:38 PM

Wayne Green posted his feelings about making copies of 73 Magazine available
on the Internet a couple of months ago on one of the boat anchor reflectors.
He also communicated directly with me on the subject.

Basically Wayne has no problems with someone scanning and making the
material free on the Internet.  In fact, he has no personal interest (that
is he just doesn't give a hoot what happens to the material) in 73 any more.
However, there definitely are some serious problems with copyrights which
often still belong to the original author or his/her heirs.  To compound
this, during the last several years of operation, according to Wayne, his
office manager "pocketed" the money that was supposed to be sent to the
authors in payment for the material.  Therefore, those authors (I am one of
them) are still due payment.  Also, at least in my case (I wrote quite a
number of articles that were published in 73 over the years), there was no
official transfer of the copyright and therefore the copyright remains with
me.  I believe that such is true of the vast majority of authors.

I am willing to give permission to reprint all of the material that I hold
the copyrights on those articles that were published in 73 IF the material
is available for no cost what-so-ever.  But, if the person who
reprints/scans the articles gets paid then I definitely will require "part
of the action".  It is because of this problem with copyrights that prevents
someone from scanning and distributing the material.  Remember, under
present copyright law the copyrights remain with the author and then his/her
heirs for the life of the author plus 70 years.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com