[Amps] Best Linearity and 3rd order

Subject: [Amps] Best Linearity and 3rd order
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:30:22 -0400
The "advice from Alpha" thread started me trying to remember how to get
the best linearity and minimum 3rd order out.  It also is pointedly
reminding me how long it's been since I worked with some of this stuff
and how much I've forgotten, probably in no small part due to age. <sigh>

IIRC it's run them right up to max but not beyond.  OTOH say I used a
pair of 4CX-1500Bs in a push pull arrangement similar to the old GE
repeater amps, or a single 4CX2500 in a configuration similar to the
Henry 2002A, but with voltages for SSB.  Certainly these amps would be
capable of far more than the legal limit on 2-meters so, "I believe" the
proper approach would be just enough drive to get the power I want while
using heavy loading.  I'm wondering if an amp like that would require
the filters I normally use behind a Henry 2002A.
AND as a third question, what about building up something similar to the
2002A using an 8877? Modding a 2002A would take a whole new power supply
including transformer, but would the tank circuit work (with a slightly
larger hole for the tube)?

Any thoughts on the tuning and loading for best 3rd order and linearity
as well as the rest of this *stuff*.?

73

Roger (K8RI)