Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?

Subject: Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?
From: Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB <felipeceglia2@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:58:40 -0200
Hi folks,

Thank you for the plethora of emails you sent me.

I got a little scared the prices I've seen for those connectors, ebay and
around.

I have tried SO-239 connectors once, good quality, and they arced as I moved
near or above 3kv, thats why I am scared about millen. I also dont feel very
comfortable having HV On a BNC-like connector, as shit happens, specially on
late night shifts at contest operations... hihi

I have a source for amphenol mil connectors, and I can get a pair of them for
around $40, fob. Using them I would be able to carry more stuff between rf deck
and ps (scree, acc voltages, control lines, etc) via a cable harness.

Here is a pic of the socket for the connector I want to use:
http://i49.tinypic.com/n3n85x.jpg

The most down pin carries HV, and it has some room around it. At least this is
how harris did with  the RF110, but... RF110 ps is around 2.2kv

Unless someone shout me to stop, I will go on and use this for circa 3kv on my
project.

73 and thank you for your replies,

Felipe - PY1NB

Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to choose a connector for plug the HV power supply to RF deck.
> Which one to choose?
>
> Is the amphenol ms-3106a-2817s a good idea? This one has 15 pins, and is
> used on harris RF-110 to connect PS to RF deck, but RF110's PS is only
> 2200 volts.
> Do you have information if this will survive 3500vdc without arcing? I
> got a spec sheet for it, but that was not clearly stated.
>
> 73 TU,
>
> Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB

Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB